PDA

Ver la versión completa : Phrasal Verbs

Emeric
10/03/2007, 19:12
REALLY HARD STUFF

For millions of non-native speakers, one of the most difficult chapters of the English Grammar deals with what many scholars have called the "phrasal verbs".

"A phrasal verb is a combination of two words with a single meaning. One word is a common verb and the other word is a preposition or one of the common adverbs such as UP, DOWN and ACROSS", etc. (Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary).

Let's examine the following sentences :

1. How did you END UP in Miami ?

2. Would you please PUT me THROUGH TO Mrs. Brown ?

3. I can't FIGURE OUT why he killed his wife.

4. Bobby used to GET ALONG really well WITH his in-laws.

5. Please, LAY OFF politics WITH us.

Translate those sentences into Spanish. :yo:

Emeric
13/03/2007, 06:58
A ver, amigos ... :yo:

Aqua
13/03/2007, 09:26
1. How did you END UP in Miami ?

Como llegaste a Miami? o Como terminaste aca en Miami?

2. Would you please PUT me THROUGH TO Mrs. Brown ?
HArias el favor de llevarme donde Mr. Brown?

3. I can't FIGURE OUT why he killed his wife.
No puedo imaginar por que mato a su esposa.

4. Bobby used to GET ALONG really well WITH his in-laws.
Bobby le agradaba estar solo con sus cuñados

5. Please, LAY OFF politics WITH us.
Por favor, comparte las politicas con nosotros.

No estoy seguro de que sean buenas traducciones ya que no soy bueno traduciendo, de hechp pocas veces me apunto en la tarea de traducir textos para alguien.

De todas maneras es interesante el ejercicio de Emeric ya que en la vida real, cuando conversas con personas de habla inglesa utilizan mucho estas formas gramaticales y uno suele confundirse.

Exotica
13/03/2007, 15:05
1. How did you END UP in Miami ? Como fue que terminaste (viviendo) en Miami? (Aparentemente aqui se habla de "estadia")

2. Would you please PUT me THROUGH TO Mrs. Brown ? Por favor, pasame a la senora Brown. (comunicacion telefonica o radio)

3. I can't FIGURE OUT why he killed his wife. No puedo comprender porque mato a su esposa.

4. Bobby used to GET ALONG really well WITH his in-laws. Bobby solia llevarse muy bien con la familia de su esposa.

5. Please, LAY OFF politics WITH us. Por favor, No nos hables de politica. (Este es un slang; que tambien significa :"Dejame en paz" "no me hables de esas cosas" this is funny....)

hehehe...what do you think my fellow? Did I pass the test? hehehe :grin:

Emeric
13/03/2007, 15:41
Oh, yes, you really did, Exo ! Great ! Congratulations ! :kiss:

Exotica
13/03/2007, 15:49
Oh, yes, you really did, Exo ! Great ! Congratulations ! :kiss:
THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :wink:

Exotica
15/03/2007, 18:59
I was listening to Fiddy Cents the rapper...Just his name is ghetto slang, hehe..It's Fifty and not Fiddy.

Anyways in his song he says "RRRRRBody in tha club gettin' tips" which means "everybody in the club getting tipsy" hahaha...It's so funny.

Later alligator! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Emeric
16/03/2007, 17:52
We all know what the verb "give" and the adverb "up" mean, don't we ? Now, what is really amazing with the English Language is that the combination of those two short words can produce a new meaning.

To give up = to stop something you were doing ... Waoo ! :thumb:

Emeric
18/03/2007, 19:21
What about "up" ?

This one sounds so funny : "Come up down !" ... :bounce:

Exotica
21/03/2007, 16:10
We all know what the verb "give" and the adverb "up" mean, don't we ? Now, what is really amazing with the English Language is that the combination of those two short words can produce a new meaning.

To give up = to stop something you were doing ... Waoo ! :thumb:

To quit, also.

Exotica
21/03/2007, 16:14
Emeric, the first time some one told me " put it back " when I was holding an object, I didn't know what it meant, so I flipped thing over! I put the thing upside down! imagine me....The lady looked at me and said, "no, put it back"...Then I finally understood when she said "put it away where it was before", hahahaha.....

Let's see...What about these...

Fill it up

Fill it out

hahaha.... :grin: I definitely love Spanish :wink:

Artrella
08/05/2007, 09:11
Hi!

The particle "up" (adverb) is used to show "completion" in most of the cases, for instance "to end up".

To end up doing something = terminar (al fin) haciendo algo

You see that we could have said just "to end doing something" but in this case the meaning would have been different, so we need the "up" to show the meaning that we have reached some point in the end, that we have accomplished some purpose we had in the beginning.